Large-format Printer Shipments up 5% in U.S.August 23, 2013
According to the latest results from the International Data Corp. (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, the market showed a year-over-year decline of -4.2 percent, with nearly 73,000 units shipped in the second quarter of 2013 (2Q13). Shipment value also experienced a year-over-year decline of -3.2 percent to $781 million. However, for the first time since the fourth quarter of 2010, two of the four largest large-format printer (LFP) markets posted year-over-year growth in this period. The United States and Japan posted 5.0 percent and 4.2 percent growth in unit shipments in 2Q13.
"While the worldwide LFP market is mature, we do see pockets of growth opportunity that can be very lucrative in the eco-solvent based printers segment," said Phuong Hang, program manager, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker. "We expect vendors to introduce new products soon to target these emerging markets."
- The technical segment of the large-format market is a driver of growth opportunity. This segment grew 2.4 percent year over year to more than 43,700 units shipped in 2Q13. It remains the largest application segment with more than 60 percent share of the total worldwide LFP market. This share is up 4 points from this time last year. In particular, the Americas region showed year-over-year unit growth of 17.8 percent in this large-format category for 2Q13.
- Conversely, the graphics application segment declined at -12 percent year over year to just under 29,000 units shipped. One bright spot occurred in the Japan market where these printers showed historically high 28 percent year-over-year growth.
- HP remains the global LFP market leader with 39.4 percent share, even with a two point share drop from a year earlier. HP continues to lead the technical market, with more than twice the unit shipments of its next competitor, Canon. HP also held its second place position in the graphics market behind Epson.
- Canon jumped one spot up from last quarter to become the second ranked vendor with 18.9% share, up 5 points from a year ago. The vendor grew 15.5 percent, the best year-over-year performance among the top 5, to 13,756 units shipped. This positive growth was driven by substantial 23.6 percent year-over-year gain in the technical market.
- Epson is the third ranked large-format vendor, down one place, from last quarter. The vendor declined -14.4 percent year over year in terms of unit shipments and represents 18.6 percent share in the worldwide LFP market. Despite showing significant year-over-year growth (102.6 percent) in the technical application segment, Epson experienced a decline of -24.1 percent in the graphics segment, which resulted in 13,501 units shipped in the second quarter of 2013.
- Roland surpassed Océ to become the fourth ranked vendor in the worldwide LFP market in terms of units shipped. The vendor increased 12.0 percent year over year in unit shipments and accounts for 3.8 percent share. Positive year-over-year gain of 12.0 percent in the graphics market helped fuel the vendor's overall growth.
- Océ rounded out the top 5 after losing out to Roland by less than 0.5 percent. The vendor experienced year-over-year growth of -5.1 percent and captured 3.6 percent share of the global LFP market. Océ's 17.8 percent year-over-year growth in the technical application segment was offset by a decline of -19.1 percent in the graphics segment. The vendor holds third place in the technical market.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and online query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 49 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.